Sunday, February 7, 2016

Pork Carnitas for the Game

Today is the last big football game of the season!

Superbowl Sunday!

Even though none of our favorites made it to the last game,
I am a Packer backer
and the pipeliner roots for the Bears,
we will watch the big game.

We both would like to see Peyton Manning go out on top.
He has kind of been a favorite of ours since the pipeliner worked on a job at Lucas Oil Stadium while it was being built.

The old home of Peyton Manning actually dubbed the house that Peyton built while he played for the Indianapolis Colts.

Onto the food!

Of course most people associate Superbowl with food!

Today I am going to make one of our favorites,
Pork Carnitas.


It is such an easy recipe to make.
Mix it all together,
then throw it in the oven!



I mix all of my spices up first.


Then juice a lime and orange.


We had a pig butchered this fall.
I had them cut some pork roasts just the size for recipes like this.

Everything plus a peeled and quartered onion gets thrown into my favorite pot.


One of the best Christmas gifts ever!


Into the oven set at 300 F. for 4 hours.

The house smells so good after about the second hour of cooking!

This is what it looks like after its all cooked down.


The pork is so tender!

Next shred the pork onto a large jelly roll pan.



It is so hard to keep from taste testing!

Strain the left over juices then put back in your pot.

Simmer until it begins to thicken.


Pour the thickened juice over your pulled pork.

Place under the broiler in your oven for a couple of minutes.


This makes a few crispy pieces of pork that just add to the yumminess of it all!

I like to serve my pork carnitas on grilled flour tortillas 
with salsa verde spooned over the top,
a few raw onions and a chopped avocado.


You can add anything you like as your toppings.

We also enjoy the pork as the meat topping on nachos.

What will be your favorite food to eat on Superbowl Sunday?


Pork Carnitas

4 pound pork butt roast cut into chunks

1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper 
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chiplote chili pepper

1 large orange juiced
1 lime juiced 
1 med onion peeled & quartered
2 cups of water

Mix the seasoning, except bay leaves, and sprinkle over the chunks of pork.

Juice the orange & lime.
Quarter the juiced orange and lime rinds.

Pour juice over seasoned pork chunks.

Pour 2 cups water over pork chunks.

Add the quartered onion, orange and lime rinds.

Give everything a quick stir.

Put the lid on the pot, then put on bottom rack of a preheated
300 F. oven for 4 hours.

Shred after the pork has cooled.

Drain reserved juice.
Cook reserved juice on the stove until thickened.
Pour over shredded pork.
Broil mixture for 2 minutes.

At this point you can serve how ever your taste desires!

Liz






















3 comments:

  1. Hi Liz! So glad you commented on my blog because I really did want to stay in touch. Thank you for the recipe for the carnitas too! I've never made them but they look yummy. I am a Bears fan but was also rooting for Peyton in the Super Bowl. I also root for the Packers when they're not playing the Bears! LOL! I'll be back to stay in touch as I need to put your blog in my "blog list" of blogs I visit on my sidebar. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that Peyton won the Superbowl! Its always fun at our house when the Bears & Packers play! lol.. Have a great week yourself!

      Delete
  2. Lots of Good information in your post, I favorited your blog post so I can visit again in the future, Thanks.
    pipeline liners

    ReplyDelete