Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Apple Pie with Oat Crust

I am sure many of you have noticed the over abundance of apples this season.

It is like Mother Nature is making up for last years lack of fruit do to the bitter cold previous winter.

We have two little apple trees the owners before us planted.


They both were loaded to the point where I was ready to prop up the branches.

These boxes are just from one tree!


I canned 10 or so jars of Candy Apple Jelly.

A batch of apple butter and a  tried a new recipe for

Love apple butter stirred into my morning oatmeal!

I froze about 10 pints of  apple pie filling for a winter treat.

And of course quite a few pints of apple sauce for the grandson!

Yesterday I noticed a few apple stragglers still hanging around on the counter.


(My son had some huge Granny Smiths on his tree too!)

I might as well put them to some good use.


I remembered a recipe that was printed in the September/October issue of my Grit magazine.

It kind of sounded like a cross between an apple crisp and a apple pie.

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Crust:
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup uncooked oats, quick or old fashioned
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt. Add butter, water and vanilla and mix well.

Press mixture firmly onto bottom and up sides of 9 inch glass pie plate, forming 1/4 inch rim around edge.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until light golden brown, cool.


Filling

1 carton (8 ounces) sour cream
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
4 egg whites, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 ground nutmeg
4 cups peeled, thinly sliced apples

Combine sour cream, brown sugar, flour, egg whites, cinnamon, and nutmeg. 
Add apples toss to coat.


Arrange over cooled crust.

Topping

1/4 cup uncooked oats, quick or old fashioned
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter

Combine oats, brown sugar, and flour; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle over filling.


Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center
comes out clean.

I really like the oatmeal cookie tasting crust!


Even better with a scoop of ice cream on top!


Here is the whole recipe from the Grit magazine!
















13 comments:

  1. Your apple pie looks delicious. I have to buy my apples (organic) until our trees produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy with our little trees! They really out produced themselves!

      Delete
  2. You sure made the best use of your apples and gave me some good ideas. In fact, I never thought of adding apple butter to my oatmeal, and that pie looks so good! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had so many apples this year I was running out of ideas! The hubbys says no more eating apples for awhile! lol..

      Delete
  3. You are so lucky to have a couple of apple trees. We went to an apple orchard this fall and I love having fresh apples and they were cheaper than the grocery store too. I'll have to make some apple butter for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our apple trees were a bust this year...(bugs)
    But Mike bought home a bushel of apples, they gifted him at work.
    This looks like a perfect recipe to try.
    Thanks for linking up with the Hop this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! Something a little different! I love your Hops, I always try to find the time to look through all of the great posts!

      Delete