Sunday, September 21, 2014

Still producing

The count down to fall is on.

The days are still filled with warm sunshine.
The nights are crisp and cool.

But I know it wont be long until the weatherman predicts
the first frost.

I am still trying to keep up with all of the veggies
that the garden produces.

Trying out a few new ideas.

Sundried cherry tomatoes seasoned with Italian seasoning smelled
so good drying in the oven.

I have had fun using my new food dehydrator.


How pretty mixed peppers look in a canning jar.

I have been experimenting with green pepper jelly.


I am still trying to find the right flavor by adding jalapenos.

My flowers are really loving the cool nights and warm days.


The celosia are in full bloom.

And the zinnias just keep blooming!

Here is a picture of my prize winning zinnia!


I was so excited!

I love to dry these pretty gomphrena.


They make great dried arrangements for the winter.

I have also been trying out bread recipes that incorporate honey.


This honey oatmeal bread recipe
seems to be the favorite so far.

But it is so much fun taste testing,
I am sure we will have a new favorite soon.

Fall weather also brings my other favorite season,
football season!


It sure makes Sunday afternoons canning sessions 
a lot more entertaining when there is football
on the tv!

Well except maybe today,
the Packers lost.


Keep on canning!

Liz











21 comments:

  1. Sadly, I've already quite a few of my plants to frost! Summer just wasn't long enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....thats a bummer that frost has hit already! Summer is never long enough!

      Delete
  2. What a year for you. Produce, Honey and Zinnia Blue Ribbon!
    Great year indeed . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock! Wish you could teach me how to can! All of your veggies look amazing! And YAY for a first prize ribbon for your gorgeous Zinnia!!! That is just fantastic! Life looks good by you Liz! I will have to try that bread recipe!! Have a great week friend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you would make a great canner Nicole! Not hard at all! Life is good! Enjoy this new week!

      Delete
  4. Your flower bouquets are a dream. Congrats on the blue ribbon zinnia. That is really exciting. Hope the first frost holds off as long as possible - your veggies look fabulous. Hope you have been well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I hope we get a few more weeks of nice weather.

      Delete
  5. Great job at the fair. Yes, those peppers look nice. We have had "hard" frosts up here - sadly, my growing season is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you have had frosts already! I think ours is coming soon. Why is summer always so short?

      Delete
  6. We are winding down with our garden also, I have rhubarb and beets to process and then we are going to try to root cellar carrots and beets as an experiment. Your flowers are beautiful! You have been busy.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you still have rhubarb? I planted some late beets I need to do something with. Let us know how your experiment does!

      Delete
  7. Looks like you have been as productive as your gardens! I bet you were excited having the prized flower ~ that's too cool.
    Happy Fall. Have a fantastic new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden has been great this year! Veggies and flowers! Happy fall!

      Delete
  8. Liz, I too, have been trying hot pepper jelly recipes. We have not found one with the right amount of heat in it yet. That zinnia looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep adding jalapenoes, but they seem to loose their heat after you cook them. Let me know if you find a good recipe. :)

      Delete
    2. You have such beautiful flowers and produce. My mom used to make the green pepper jelly. Yummy! So good.

      Delete
    3. Thankyou! We really like the pepper jelly on crackers! The stuff is addicting!

      Delete
  9. I never heard of pepper jelly. Try some habeneros if you want it really hot!

    I think all of us are ready for winter. This past summer has been a trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going to add some habeneroes! That will really heat it up! I am not ready for winter! We had a dreadful one last year. Not ready for a repeat! lol...

      Delete
  10. Your fall harvest looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete