Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Cajun Chicken Pasta

The garden is still producing fast and furious!

I try to use a lot of garden fresh ingredients in our nightly meals.

This recipe had set on my counter for a week or so until I finally found the time to make some fettuccine noodles.



After the first taste, it was worth the wait!

Cajun Chicken Pasta

3 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
3 teaspoons Cajun spice mix ( I used Mrs. Dash)
1 pound fettuccine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon butter
1 whole green pepper, seeded and sliced
1 whole red pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 whole red onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 whole Roma tomatoes
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup heavy cream
cayenne pepper to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste



Cook pasta according to package directions. 
Drain when pasta is still al dente, do not over cook!


Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun spice over chicken pieces.
Toss around to coat.


Heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter in heavy skillet over high heat.

Allow the chicken to brown on one side. Flip to the other side and cook an additional minute.


Remove with a slotted spoon and place on clean plate.

Add remaining olive oil and butter.
When heated add peppers, onions, and garlic.


Sprinkle on remaining Cajun seasoning.

Cook over very high heat for 1 minute stirring gently and trying to get the veggies as dark as possible.
Add tomatoes and cook for an additional 30 seconds.

Remove all of the vegetables from the pan.

With the pan over high heat, pour in wine and chicken broth.
Cook on high for 3 to 4 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze.  

Reduce heat to medium low and pour in cream stirring constantly.
Cook sauce over medium heat for a few minutes, until cream starts to thicken the mixture.

Taste and add black pepper and or cayenne pepper.
The sauce should be spicy.


Finally add the chicken and vegetables to sauce.

Stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture is bubbly and hot.

Add drained fettuccine and toss to combine.



I love all things pasta!
This one will be on the favorite list for a long time!

Hope you enjoy!

Liz










14 comments:

  1. Excellent . . . this one I will try!
    I am impressed . . . making your own noodles . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it! I have been making noodle for years. They really are simple to make.

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious. I really need to get some homemade noodles made too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make another batch. I gave the rest of mine away. :(

      Delete
  3. Homemade pasta-yum, now I will have to make some :)
    Recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! Would make a great cold night comfort food!

      Delete
  4. Mmmm! Looks like it took some work to make this dish, but it looks so scrumptious--I almost wish I could take a spoonful out of the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord, that looks good! My wife is a special ed teacher and she is always too tired to cook. So we don't usually have dishes like that at home. But we go out for dinner on weekends to compensate. During the week I eat a lot of canned stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to be able to stay home. And I enjoy cooking. We like going out to eat on the weekends too!

      Delete
  6. I wish I could take a spoonful of chicken pasta from the photo.
    top rated photography colleges

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome recipe, the pics look so delish!

    ReplyDelete