Friday, February 7, 2014

No Peek Stew

Day 10 on the road!
I miss the grandson,
I miss my dogs!

Fingers crossed it will only be a few more days until we hit the road for home.

I know the guys are really tired of eating out.
We all have these little kitchenettes in our rooms.


But most men I know really don't want to cook after working 10+ hours,
so they grab something quick on the way home.

The pipeliner asked if I would make something home-made for the guys one night.

I tried to think of a recipe everyone would like.
Plus what would taste great after a long day out in the cold and snow.

Of course, STEW!

I have had a go to stew recipe for years

No Peek Stew!

I made my grocery list, then walked to the store for the ingredients.


Thankfully the store isn't that far away.
I had to lug everything back!

Then it was time to mix it all up.
The secret ingredient:



I had 10 guys to feed plus myself.
I made 5 separate pans.


My son, who is also on this job, has a room next door to ours.
His room has an oven that I have been using.
First I baked a batch of cupcakes, then I put the stews in his oven to cook for the rest of the afternoon.

The cleaning lady raised her eyebrows when saw me carrying all of these covered pans into his room.

I had all of the pans ready to go when the guys got off work. Along with some crusty bread I bought at the bakery.
Plus they got cupcakes for dessert.

My hubby has a great group of guys on his crew!
They all went out of there way to come out here when he asked.
This was the least I could do to make them a little more comfortable.

Tonight,
they are taking me out for supper!


2 lbs beef stew meat
2-3 large onions sliced in chunks
5 stalks celery cut into chunks
6 carrots cut into chunks
3 large potatoes cut into chunks
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp tapioca ( quick cooking)
1 1/2 cup tomato juice or V8

In a 9 x 12 pan, layer the stew meat on the bottom. Do not brown the meat!
Add the onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery. 
(I added some frozen peas too!)
Combine the salt, pepper, sugar and tapioca.
Sprinkle all over the top.
Pour the tomato juice over the top of everything.
Tightly cover the pan with foil.
Cook in the oven for 4 hours at 300 F.
DO NOT PEEK!
Give everything a good stir after it is done.
Enjoy!


Have a great Friday!
Liz





27 comments:

  1. Your stew looks great, Liz, and it was so kind of you to feed the crew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The hubby has a great group of guys working for him. Like to keep them happy when they are far away from home!

      Delete
  2. How nice of you and what a great recipe for a hungry crowd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a popular recipe when my son was in high school. We always had a group of boys for supper!

      Delete
  3. So sweet for you to feed them and so sweet of them to feed you now! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby has a great group of guys working for him! And they love anything homeade.

      Delete
  4. You sure did your good deed for the day - you deserve to dine out now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are a great group of guys! Happy to keep them happy!!!

      Delete
  5. Wow...that looks great and I know the guys loved it! There's nothing like home cooking especially when it is cold and snowy!! You are one smart girl...:) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta keep the crew happy, makes the job go smoother! Have a great weekend yourself!

      Delete
  6. You are so kind! I bet that meant so much to them to have a home cooked meal! And how can you go wrong with this yummy dish! Thank you so much for sharing it lady...I'm always on the hunt for new soups and stews! Hope you come home soon!!! Happy weekend!!!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we are out of town I always try to bake something for the guys on the crew. This recipe was a family favorite when the kids were young. Have a great weekend yourself, even though I hear more snow for Saturday! Liz

      Delete
  7. That was such a nice thing you did Liz!! The stew sounds wonderful and the recipe is simple too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guys really appreciated it! Very simple but tastey meal!

      Delete
  8. Oh, that's so sweet! It sounds delicious. Hope all is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Staci! The guys were happy with dinner!

      Delete
  9. Aww, so nice of you to make this yummy dinner! I bet they loved it, especially after a long work day. I bet cupcakes were a welcome sight, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hubbys crew always appreciates anything thats home baked! Great group of guys!

      Delete
  10. Yum. I use tapioca in my oven stew too. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom always used it in hers too! Great thickener!

      Delete
  11. That was nice of you - I bet the loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ate almost all of it, so it must not have been to bad! lol...

      Delete
  12. You're the best!! I was actually thinking of you today and wondering if you were the only wife along with the team. I have a "go-to" stew recipe too which I cut from a newspaper when I first got married. I love the little blurb at the beginning about how the lady used to smell this stew cooking when she & her brother skated on their pond "worth unlacing your skates for" was how she put it. It must've smelled like heaven to all those hungry men when they arrived for the meal! How nice for them to treat you to dinner too :) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the back stories of recipes like that! I was the only wife out here for the first 10 days. My bff and her kids came Thursday. Another girlfriend arrived Saturday. I was getting kinda lonely! lol...My hubby has a great group of guys working for him, they deserve some special treatment!

      Delete
  13. Your stew looks so yummy it is making my mouth water. So kind of you to make this home-made meal for the guys along with desert. I'm sure they all appreciated it and made them all feel more like home. Your husband has the best wife.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! The guys always appreciate anything home cooked. My hubby tells me everyday what a great gal he has! I just smile and agree! lol....

      Delete
  14. What guy doesn't like stew?! You were sweet to fix them a home made dinner.

    ReplyDelete