Friday, October 4, 2013

Time for Tulip Planting!


The fields around the farm are turning.
The combines will soon be hard at work.

I love the smell of fall in the air!

Fall is the perfect time to plant tulips!

Last year I only got a few planted on the farm.

This year I was determined to plant more for lots of blooms this coming spring.

One place I wanted to see blooms would be around the corn crib.


I have so many ideas for this interesting structure.


But thats for another post!


Tulips bulbs come in virtually all colors anymore.  My girlfriend has an interesting garden of them in blacks and purple.

They also vary in their bloom times from early spring into early summer.

I chose an early bloomer, and a mid spring bloomer.
I like color in the yard as soon as I can have it!

The bulbs need to be planted 6 to 8 weeks before a hard frost is expected.

Tulips prefer a site with full sun or afternoon sun.

They dislike excessive moisture. Make sure they are planted in a well drained site.


I planted mine on the south west side of our crib.

They need to be planted deep. At least 8 inches.
Make sure you plant them with the pointy sides up!


When we lived in town I had a HUGE problem with squirrels! 
I would plant the bulbs, they would dig them up!
I finally found the solution with chicken wire.
I would line the bottom of the 
hole with chicken wire, put the bulb in, cover with a little dirt, then another layer of wire.
It kept those pesky animals from digging them up!


My planting buddy was on hand to watch grandma.


I told little man when these pretty flowers begin to bloom, you will be walking by then.

You and grandma can walk out together to pick a bouquet!

Time is running out, get those tulips planted today!

Have a great weekend!
Liz

4 comments:

  1. I love tulips...but it is too hot here for them. Can't wait to see yours!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats to bad you don't get to enjoy them! They have always been one of my favorites.

      Delete
  2. I need to head over to our tulip stand today. They sell bulbs - eight for a dollar. I've already stocked up on daffodils. I am waiting for it to dry out so I can get out and plant them. The corn crib is an interesting structure - your tulips will be so pretty around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 tulips bulbs for a dollar what a deal! I should plants some daffodils too, forgot all about them. Thanks for stopping by Stacy!

      Delete