Friday, September 21, 2012

Lizzys Baked Caramel Corn

The "pipeliners" favorite fall treat just happens to be my baked caramel corn. Today definitely had a taste of fall in the air. I thought it would be the perfect day to surprise him with a batch.

Most caramel corn recipes I come across anymore use microwave popcorn. I think you need to pop your corn the old fashioned way. In a frying pan with hot oil and yellow corn kernels.

Drizzle enough vegetable oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan.  Turn your heat to Med/High heat. Then cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of corn kernels.

 
Put a lid on your pan. Shake the kernels around so they are all covered with the oil.  Let the popcorn pop until the pan is full. Give your pan a couple of shakes during the popping. This settles the kernels to the bottom of the pan ensuring that all of the kernels pop. Keep a close eye on the popping corn. It doesn't take long for the corn to burn. And that makes for one smelly kitchen!


My little dog does her popcorn dance while the corn pops! She loves, loves popcorn!

It usually takes a couple of batches of popping corn to get 6 quarts of popped corn. I divide them between to foil pans. I have saved these pans just for making my caramel corn.
 
Next I make the caramel.
Melt 2 sticks of margarine in a pan.
To the melted margarine I add 2 cups of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of light corn syrup.
Stir continuously until everything is mixed.
Keep stirring on high heat until the mixture come to a full rolling boil.
Set your kitchen timer for 5 minutes. Let the mixture boil without stirring.
After the 5 minutes are up, remove the mixture from the heat. Quickly stir in 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 1 tsp. of vanilla extract.
Stir until the baking soda and vanilla are combined. The mixture will bubble up and become frothy.
 
Pour this mixture over the popped corn. I divide mine equally between my 2 pans of popped corn.
With a wooden spoon stir the caramel mixture until all of the popcorn is coated.
 
The pans of corn go into a preheated 250.F oven. The caramel corn bakes for 1 hour, stirring the mixture every 15 minutes.
 
After it has baked for an hour, pour the mixture on wax paper to cool.
 
 
I like to divide mine up between plastic bags to send with the "pipeliner" at work. But it stays fresh in a covered container for 3-5 days.
 
I know when the "pipeliner" opens his lunch pail tomorrow he will be thrilled with his treat. And I am sure his co-workers will be happy as well. He does like to share!
Happy Fall!
 
 
Lizzy's Baked Caramel Corn
 
6 quarts of popped popcorn
 
2 sticks of margarine
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 
 
 
Bake in a 250F. oven for 1 hour
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! My kids would go crazy over it and will have so much fun sharing with their friends. Definitely making this for all the Halloween parties next week. Pinning!

    I would love for you to come over and link up at Wine'd Down Wednesday if you get a chance. We party every week from Tuesday evening to late Friday night! Hope to see you there!
    http://www.dizzybusyandhungry.com/wined-down-wednesday-7/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great fall tasting treat! I make so many batches for the family. Thank you for the invite to your Wednesday party. I will be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete